Horses like this one have many uses.
Horse is a rideable animal primarily found on steppe or grass land. Horses come in one of 8 colour types: black, white, grey, brown, gold, "Blood Bay", "Ebony Black" (also known as "Jet Black"), and "Piebald Pinto".
Being mounted provides a very substantial advantage in combat. It is usually much easier to kill a strong opponent when riding. In addition, mounts are unaffected by the rider's stamina and health, which makes it possible to retreat from combat even with low stamina or critical wounds. Riding a fast mount is often the only way of successfully escaping some of the faster mobs (like aged trolls or crocodiles). This is especially true when carrying loads above a bare minimum, because horses are not slowed as much as players are when carrying heavy loads.
A horse without speed affecting traits or equipment will have a max speed of ~18 kph when riding it. Riding speed is completely unaffected by terrain type. It is the same everywhere on and off-road. Saddles and horse shoes will raise the maximum speed. A horse's gear can only be accessed or changed when tamed by the tamer, or when branded by whoever has permissions.
Any traits, the horse's hunger, terrain steepness and the rider's inventory weight can affect the speed of the horse when riding. If the speed of a horse slows suddenly and without a weight or terrain increase, then the horse is most likely hungry. Feed it something, or get off and lead the horse to grass tiles. After eating or grazing the speed should be back to normal.
|Type||50ql boost||70ql boost||90 ql boost||Other|
|Horse_shoe set of 4||0.24km/h||0.48km/h||0.72km/h|
|Wind of Ages||0.24km/h||0.48km/h||0.72km/h||cast on shoes or saddle|
The 50, 70, and 90ql improvements are when the average total ql for 4 shoes reaches this threshold.
Thus a horse with 4 x 90ql horseshoes, a 90ql saddle and 90 WoA on them all will get a speed bonus of 7.2km/h
- Bred horses have individual (but not unique) names randomly chosen at birth. They can have traits affecting their speed and other characteristics.
- Bred horses have 2 foal stages (young foal and adolescent foal) before they grow to young horses. All foals are bred, not wild.
- Colour of bred horses will be inherited from their parents, with a very small chance of becoming an entirely different colour at birth.
- Traits have a chance to be inherited from the parents. Both parents having a trait will help but does not guarantee that trait will be passed on.
Speed related traits will turn on and off at random intervals by design.
Traits that increase speed:
- "It has fleeter movement than normal." - This trait is known to create a small speed boost.
- "It has lightning movement." - This causes a much higher speed boost.
- "It can carry more than average." - The rider's inventory will affect the horse's speed less.
- "It has very strong leg muscles." - Slopes affect the horses speed less.
- "It has a strong body." - Bonus to maintaining top speed.
Some traits can decrease speed:
- "The legs are of different length." - This causes a very severe speed penalty.
See animal husbandry for a full list.
Equipment that can be equipped on tamed or branded horses:
- They can be led with a rope by anybody without being tamed, but they are ride-able only with 21 body control.
- Horses can be tamed with seeds and some vegetables. Be aware though that aggressive mobs occasionally attacks tamed horses/mounts.
- Horses can be ridden up and down a straight 40 slope ramp or anywhere the sum of two neighbouring sides of a tile do not exceed 40. While only turning, your horse will move forward a little. A horse will move much slower when ridden backwards or up a hill, it moves faster when riding down a hill.
- One or two horses can be used to pull a large cart or a ship transporter, up to four horses can be hitched to a wagon.
- Have 20 Body Strength.