Priests are players who have completely devoted themselves to their chosen god (or deity). The priest is rewarded for their devotion by means of the ability to cast spells and the chance to become a champion.
- Main article: Convert
To become a priest a follower can either make a pilgrimage to the white light's Altar of Three on Chaos or Elevation, or the black light's Bone Altar on Elevation, depending on the god they follow. Another priest of the same religion may also convert a follower if the requirements are right.
- The follower requires a minimum of 30 faith when to be converted by a priest, and the priest must have at least 40.
- On Chaos a follower with 30 faith may visit the Altar of Three or Bone Altar to become a priest.
- On the Epic cluster with 30 faith may visit the Altar of Three or Bone Altar on Elevation to become a priest.
- Any character wishing to become a priest must have active premium time.
- Altar Text
If a priest ever feels the need to begin worshipping a different god they may be converted by a follower or of the respective faith. Doing so will reduce the faith of the converted to 20% of the preaching skill of the converter, meaning they will no longer be a priest. As above either of the special altars may also be used, but this will result in faith being set to 1.
With great power comes restriction; priests forbidden by their gods from undertaking a multitude of activities. Although it's possible to go unfaithful and ignore your god, the repercussions are not accepted well; faith will be removed if the actions are noticed by the gods.
Priests typically cannot do any of the following actions (any exceptions are listed in the table below). See the table below for details.
- Improve, continue or destroy/bash items, walls or structures, or repair structures. However they are permitted to create and plan items and structures.
- Dig or cut wood, pack dirt or pave.
- Mine, prospect or tunnel.
- Use alchemy or make healing covers.
- Cannot steal.
|Digging||Woodcutting||Alchemy & Healing Covers||Mining||Paving||Steal & Destroy Structures||Farming, Gardening & Taming|
On Chaos, priests can be kind of difficult to understand due to the different priests and some of them not being allowed on Freedom. The table below is meant to illustrate what will happen to you if you are a priest when you cross over the Chaos border.
|From Freedom to Chaos||From Chaos to Freedom|
|Priest Type||BlackLight Kingdom||WhiteLight Kingdom||Priest Type||BlackLightKingdom||WhiteLight Kingdom|
|Fo Magranon,Vynora||Lib Follower||Stays Priest||Fo Magranon,Vynora||NA||Stays Priest|
|Tosiek,Paaweelr,Nathan,Nahjo||Stays Priest||Stays Priest||Tosiek,Paaweelr,Nathan,Nahjo||Stays Priest||Stays Priest|
- Read More: Chaos
Going against the will of a god will anger them and as a result the priest will lose faith, the amount lost depends entirely on the action taken. If a priest is to ever drop below 30 faith they will be stripped of their priesthood and re-join the ranks of the followers with an added 10 point loss in faith, leaving them at 20.
Once a player runs out of premium time their faith and favor will be limited to 30 and they will temporarily lose priesthood. Once premium time is renewed all skills and priesthood will revert back. Priests who are no longer premium become followers and are therefore not under the strict limitations described in the table above, meaning there will be no severe faith loss for going unfaithful while non-premium. However sometimes the gods will punish followers for disobedience, so it may be wise not to test the will of the gods.
- Faith gain beyond 30 is not possible for non-premium accounts.
|This section or article is the opinion or suggestion of one or more players, or contains a player-made guide.|
Players are encouraged to submit their guides to the relevant section of the Wurmonline forum.
- Support skills such as blacksmithing, carpentry, cloth tailoring, masonry, pottery, stone cutting and woodcutting should all be raised to at least 20, and probably 30, so that you will not be left mostly unable to help yourself or your village in other ways after you become a priest.
- You should strongly consider raising Mind logic to 20.1 and Body control to 21 for the ability to command sailing boats and to ride horses. These characteristics are much harder to gain without crafting.
Priest characteristic skillgain penalties have been removed making it easier to continue to level characteristics. However, assuming one is premium prior to becoming a priest some characteristic skill checks to hit are Body Strength 23 to Load/Unload, Body Control 21 to be able to ride a horse, and Mind Logic 20.10 as certain characteristics may be harder to achieve with the penalties of certain deities.