|Skill and improvement|
A rudimentary compass, made from a needle floating in oil on a piece of wood in a jar.
A tool that indicates the cardinal points relative to the position of the player.
The compass must be in the inventory (or a container within) of the player in order to use it.
The GUI window may be placed anywhere on the HUD by dragging it around. By right-clicking it may also be made smaller (and back to large again), as well as be hidden completely. To get it back from being hidden the console - - command toggle compass may be used, or toggled from the Main menu.
- The compass gradually becomes unstable while moving and stabilizes again while standing still. While the compass is unstable the direction cannot be seen.
- The quality of the compass affects stability.
- A fully unstable compass will become readable in about 2 seconds at QL 70, 10 seconds at QL 30, and 20 seconds at QL 1. Starter compasses (QL 20) will take 14 seconds.
- Stopping just after the compass becomes unstable will allow it to recover quicker (the compass was not fully unstable).
- WoA affects the speed of recovery.
- A finished compass cannot be improved, use high quality components to craft to get better quality end products. Additionally they can't be repaired, other than with the mend spell.
- Compasses decay very rapidly, so should always be stored in inventory.
- Upon adding a new compass to the inventory, even with the previous one removed, the old GUI may remain. To correct this remove all compasses from the inventory and re-take the intended one.