Some animals including horses, cows, bulls, pigs and pheasants can be branded using a branding iron. Branding works only when on a deed you are a member of. Once branded, examining the animal shows the village it belongs to and allows members of that village to lead it, no matter where it is.
- On PvE servers branded animals cannot be attacked by another player unless they have the correct permissions.
- Branded horses have the same protection when dead as when alive (until the next server restart), meaning only those who have permissions may take items from the corpse.
- PvE also prevents the sacrificing of branded animals.
- The maximum number of branded animals per deed (PvE) is (number of tiles)/11.
- You can see the number of branded animals in Settlement info: The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 45.621952. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 35 creatures currently branded.
- When a deed disbands, all brands are removed from their animals.
- Only premium players are allowed to brand animals.
- Branding only applies to the server you branded the animal on. If you cross over to another server, that animal is not considered branded on the new server.
- Heat the branding iron to "it is hot" or hotter.
- Make sure you and the animal are within the deed you are a member of.
- Activate the branding iron, right-click the animal, and select Brand.
- After use, the branding iron appears to lose 0.10 Quality instead of taking actual damage.
Messages given when branding:
- You prepare to brand [animal, e.g. Young fat horse].
- Determined, you raise your branding iron.
- The [animal] makes a horrible sound as you press your branding iron against it.
When examining the animal after branding, it will say: "It has been been branded by and belongs to the settlement of [Settlement]."
Once branded, members of that village can lead the animal anywhere, even on deeds that they don't belong to. You still need a rope to lead it.
To unbrand an animal, simply use the branding iron on that animal again. You can also unbrand in the manage animals menu.
Messages while unbranding using a branding iron:
- You prepare to remove brand on a [animal].
- You promptly raise your branding iron.
- The [animal] makes a horrible sound as you press your branding iron against it and remove the brand.