Right click on tile and "Collect snow"
|Skill and improvement|
A ball of snow that someone makes, usually for throwing.
Snowballs are used to slow decay of food when placed in the icebox of a larder, for some food recipes, for player hydration, and for snowball fights.
Snowballs can be found in Winter by right-clicking a ground tile and clicking Collect snow. Snow starts becoming available on tiles approximately 21 hours after the beginning of Winter. After snowballs are collected from a tile, they will be replenished periodically throughout Winter in a similar fashion to foraging or botanizing.
The number of snowballs you can gather from a tile depends on the type of tile:
- 1: Stone slabs, Slate slabs, Sandstone slabs, and Marble slabs
- 1: Lawn
- 1: Short grass, trees/bushes with short grass
- 2: Medium grass, [[tree|trees/bushes] with medium grass
- 3: Tall grass, [[tree|trees/bushes] with tall grass
- 4: Wild grass
No other tiles are known to produce snowballs, and the tile must not be within a building.
The quality of a snowball is random, with a maximum of 99.00. Average quality is determined by how many snowballs can be collected on the tile, and how many have already been collected in that action. For example, collecting from wild grass gets 4 snowballs, each with decreasing quality, and even the first is likely to be lower quality than a snowball collected from slab pavement or short grass. Tiles producing only 1 snowball are likely to produce one at maximum quality.
- Snow will become more abundant over time as winter sets in, and will be much easier to collect.
- Snowballs decay extremely quickly in one's inventory, and can start taking damage within a few minutes.
- A snowball can be thrown at various targets by activating the snowball and then right-clicking the target and selecting "Throw Snowball". No damage or hostility is invoked here.
- Snowballs cannot be stored in bulk storage containers such as food storage bins or crates.
- The snowman statue is the only known way with which to generate snowballs outside of normal ground-harvest methods utilized in the snowy months in Wurm.