Main Page / Rift
A rift is a test laid down upon the people of the lands by the gods. It consists of a bright, glowing-red portal, waves of quite deadly creatures brought forth through that portal, and a battle system with which to shut down the terror and satisfy this wicked test of strength and solidarity by the gods.
Process of Events, How It Works
- First, a light beacon will appear on a server (one beam per server at one time), 2 real-life days before the rift will open on PvE and 3 real-life hours before opening on PvP. The location is random each time but always in a non-deeded area. This is where the gods will open the rift portal.
- The rift participation area is a 41x41 square centered around the riftlight. One can check to see whether one is in the participation area or not by using the /rift command. If the rift has not yet started, the number of hours until the rift opens will be displayed.
- Next, when the rift portal actually opens (48 hours after the beacon first appears), it will clear all the trees within its borders and turn all terrain into dirt. It will also spawn a number of traps, rift stones, rift crystals, and rift plants in the rift zone. Terraforming attempts in this area will be blocked until the rift is closed. Additionally, the rift will spawn a rift altar and a wave of deadly rift creatures that will only fight players within the zone.
- After the first wave of rift creatures is defeated, two more increasingly difficult waves must subsequently be defeated in order to close the rift. In order to progress to the next wave, 20 rift hearts must be butchered and removed from any rift creatures and then burned at the rift altar in sacrifice. An examine of the altar will always show the remaining number of hearts needed in order to bring about the next wave of rift creatures, and the altar is always located within several tiles of the rift beam itself. Progression through the rift in this way can take place at any time, despite any living rift creatures or the current wave taking place.
- The third and final wave of rift creatures will include a Warmaster and provides the most difficult wave of fighting. Once this wave is disbursed, players must sacrifice 20 more hearts to the rift altar, at which point an event message will convey across the server: . The rift is now closed, the gods have been satisfied, and rank-based rewards are then automatically spawned to the participating players' inventories. It is also at this point that the rift area's rift materials (see section below) will become harvestable.
- Rifts work off of a points system. Depending on the amount of kills and damage dealt by a player, they can get a higher participation ranking. The rankings range from "minimal" (least impact) to "phenomenal" (most impact). The better the rank, the more rewards attributed to that player. Rank rewards are automatically placed in each player's inventory at the conclusion of the rift, with an occasional reward spawning to inventory after a single, lucky kill. Rank-based rewards include shoulder pads, rift jewelry, rift materials as listed below, and lumps of glimmersteel, seryll, and adamantine.
- Anytime while a rift is still open and active, the player may type the chat command /rift in order to see the current participation rankings. Attempts to bring up the list outside of the actual rift area while it is still active will not work. After the rift is closed, however, the command can be issued from anywhere on that server in order to view the final ranking list. This will remain possible until the player travels to another server or logs out on that current server.
- Players with more than 60 participation (phenomenal) rank will tend to receive less random lump quality levels and weights. Instead, they will generally receive lump quantities, qualities, and weights based on that rank with much less swing toward randomness.
- Rare items being rewarded generally tends to occur mainly for participants placing 3rd or better at final rank.
- Metallic shoulder pad rewards can come in any metal type.
- Killing Champion rift creatures gives a slightly higher chance at receiving a rift accessory.
- Any player who participated in at least 10 kills will get a lump of uncommon metal (Seryll, Glimmersteel or Adamantine) of random rarity, quality, and weight, at the rift's close.
In addition to spawning to player inventory based on rank at the end of a rift, rift materials can also be manually collected from the immediate rift area once that rift has been closed. The three rift resource types are rift stones, rift crystals, and rift plants:
- Mine a rift stone to gather rift stone shards.
- Prospect a rift crystal (node) to gather rift crystals.
- Cut down a rift plant to gather rift wood.
Rift materials can be difficult to harvest without adequate skill, with much of the rift plant, stone, or crystal being wasted on any failed attempts to harvest.
Rift materials are primarily utilized for the creation of runes.
- The no-drop zone for tents extends out 30 tiles from the rift beacon.
- When a rift beacon appears, a player may walk through it for the "Rift Investigator" achievement. When the rift is closed, the player will then receive the "Rift Defender" and "Rifter" titles.
- When a rift creature is killed, every player has a 5% chance to get a loot item that can include but are not limited to shoulder pads and jewelry with special abilities.
- Butchering rift creatures can occasionally produce rift jewelry or shoulder pads.
- Rift hearts are of no other use in Wurm aside from burning at the rift altar.
- Rift creatures can only attack players within the rift area. Evacuate the area when in danger!
- Additional, official rift loot information can be found here: