Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Skill and improvement|
A large kiln-like structure made from logs covered in dirt. The purpose is to turn the logs into tar and charcoal.
- The quality of the kindling affects the chance of creating a charcoal pile.
- The maximum quality of a coal pile is limited by the average quality of the raw materials. The coal-making skill, however, affects how much each added ingredient actually adds to the pile's quality.
- It uses 1 kindling and 1 log to create.
- Piles cannot be created or continued inside a house and cannot be improved.
- After finishing the pile, light it with your steel and flint and a kindling in your inventory.
- Once lit, the pile will produce charcoal, tar, and ash of the initial quality of the pile. Production of these materials occurs whenever a decay tick increases the pile's damage. These products can then be removed at any time without harm to further production.
- The pile will burn for one to six real-life days until it reaches 100 damage. At this time, the pile will disappear and all remaining products will form an item pile on the ground.
- The higher the quality of the pile, the higher the quality of its products and the longer the pile will burn, hence more items produced as well:
Battlepants' test for the approximation of pile quality and number of produce. * 29.75ql birchpile produced 17 charcoals * 56.58ql birchpile produced 30 charcoals * 46.01ql walnutpile produced 25 charcoals
- Light as soon as possible. Unlit piles will quickly start to take "invisible" damage until lit, which is when the damage then becomes apparent. Products are then produced with the effective quality of the pile at the time of lighting.
- A single charcoal, ash, and tar is produced at each decay tick.
- Wood type affects production:
- Cedarwood piles burn slower due to their decay tick mechanic, but produce the same amount as a non special wood type.
- Oakenwood piles produce more materials as they take less decay per tick and thus have more ticks.
- Walnut Piles give a 10% bonus on the quality of the items it produces.
- Other wood types have no effect on burn time or charcoal production.
- The last log added determines the wood type of the pile.
- Making 20 piles from discovery without sleep bonus will net around 24 Coal-making Skill.
- Per testing, decay of items produced by the charcoal pile will start in approximately 2 to 3 days if left inside the active, producing pile. Removal of items and then placement back inside, however, may nullify this decay-free period.
- It is possible to create a rare charcoal pile. A rare pile will then burn slightly longer and has the ability to randomly produce a number of rare charcoal, rare ash, and rare tar.
- Charcoal piles cannot be improved.
- All charcoal piles fully and completely occupy one tile and, despite wood type, visually appear the same.