|Skill and improvement|
A smelter made from bricks and clay, fits more ore than a forge.
- Smelting metal ore into lumps
Activate the stone brick, right-click another stone brick, and select Create > Furnaces > Smelter. The unfinished smelter will drop in front of you on the ground. Right-click it with either another clay or stone brick or sand activated, and choose Continue building.
- Subsequent clay can be taken from a single big lump, piece by piece. However, the lump will become progressively more damaged if you fail when attaching it.
- At least 50 masonry skill is required to create and continue building a smelter.
- Only 20 kg of fuel is needed at a time. Adding more fuel is unnecessary until some time has passed. The quality of fuel used here does not affect burning time as does the quality of the smelter itself.
- A smelter will hold, at most, 100 uncombined ore.
- Loading requires a wagon.
- Items can be placed onto it, if there is enough room, and will be heated if the smelter is hot. Wooden or otherwise flammable items placed on the smelter will be burned.
- Does not take damage on a settlement while the upkeep is greater than 30 days.