A champion player in Wurm is a player who has perma-death also known as real-death (currently only possible on the wild server). Once such player dies four times, they are permanently dead, and can no longer log into that player account. Once they are forever dead, they'll have to create a new character with a different name to continue playing Wurm. The players that become champions are recorded in the Hall of champions.
The Altar of Three text
Your faith and soul are strong enough to become a Champion of <god>. The decision to do this is final, and extremely dangerous. If you choose this path, you will eventually pass the spirit currently blocking the path to the netherworld, effectively dying forever. He will block your passage three times more. This means you will not be able to play this character any more after you die the third time. It does however have its advantages: You will immediately get a boost of power, granted <god>. You will also gain a permanent bonus when fighting and performing certain other tasks. Your faith and favor will be set to max, and you may never lose or change deity. But first and foremost, your name will live in the history of Wurm forever! Do you want to become a champion of <god>, realizing that this is a final and irrevocable decision?
Becoming a champion
- To become a champion, you will need to be a priest with 50+ faith.
- If you are a follower of Fo or Vynora, you will need to have 23 soul depth.
- If you are a follower of Magranon or Libila, you will need to have 25 soul strength.
- Followers of the White Light gods have to visit the Altar of Three to trigger champion hood.
- Followers of Libila have to visit the Bone Altar to trigger champion hood.
- Once you trigger championhood, a server wide event message is spread informing everybody on the server that you are now a champion.
e.g <Player name> is now a Champion of <God name>!
- +5 to all characteristics skills.
- Faith set to 99.99 (you can continue to pray & gain faith, but only at about 0.000010)
- Praying, Channeling and exorcism all get 50+your original skill, up to a maximum of 80.
- You receive a 60% damage reduction bonus which stacks with armour, so you will take lower damage wounds from hits compared to a normal player.
- Shorter time for normal healing
- Increased skill gain (factor isn't known)
- You will get a new title: Champion of <your god>(this title can not be turned off, but it does not effect other titles. So you can be a 'Blacksmith Champion of Fo' for example).
- You can never lose your Deity
- Permadeath. You get 3 respawns, if you die after the third respawn, you do NOT respawn. Your name will be remembered and inscribed in the hall of champions.
- You can not change your mind later. Champion status is permanent.
- You can never change your deity (or change kingdom).
- Substantially reduced characteristic gain.
Text displayed upon permadeath
- You are dead.
- The dark spirit on the way to the netherworld walks toward you, ready to demand your knowledge.
- At the last moment, it halts hesitantly.
- As it withdraws into the shadows, you realize you are free.
- You walk for a long time through a dark, moist and warm tunnel.
- The longing to return has since long left your body.
- After a tunnel bend, a bright light emanates from up ahead.
- As you pass into the light you hear the sound of laughter and people throwing a grand feast in your honor.
- A broad smile enters your face as you recognize the voices.
- Nobody can hear you now.