Main / Mail
Quote from the Sending dialog : Use mailboxes with caution and inexpensive items until you rely on the spirits. They are still learning, and take no responsibility for lost items.
Mailboxes do receive damage and can be destroyed by decay, causing the cast on it to disappear.
Types of spirit containers
There is no difference in operation between the various spirit containers.
- Spirit house - fine carpentry
- Spirit mansion - fine carpentry
- Spirit cottage - masonry
- Spirit castle - masonry
To send the mail,
- Drop the item(s) into the spirit container, then right-click the container, and select Send.
- There are two dialogues that will control how the items are sent.
- The first allows you to specify the name of the recipient, and what items should be sent using C.O.D. (cash on delivery). It also allows to skip the second dialog.
- The second dialogue allows you to see how much the delivery charge will be, and to specify the C.O.D. amount you will charge the recipient if applicable.
NOTICE: Items will be mailed to the server the recipient is currently present on. It can only be retrieved from that server.
When you login, you will receive a message if you have any mail. You sense imps speaking your name and saying you have 1 mail waiting to be picked up.
To receive or check for mail, right-click any spirit container and select Check. If an item is sent as Cash On Delivery you need to have the money in your bank to cover the delivery charge before you can receive the items.
You also have the option to return the items to the sender.
If the recipient does not pick up their mail within two weeks, they are automatically returned-to-sender.
If the original sender does not pick up the returned items within two weeks, they are destroyed.
If the recipient uses return-to-sender and the original sender does not pick up the items within 7 days, they are destroyed.
There is no way to extract items from the mail system if you are not the recipient !
If you are sending something valuable, ensure that the recipient is available to pick it up before you send it. If you return an item to the sender, it would be good manners to contact them to ensure they retrieve it before the two week deadline.
The postage is 1 copper per item for same or cross-server mailing. Cross-server mailing is currently limited to within the Freedom Isles (Independence, Deliverance, Exodus, Celebration, Xanadu, Pristine, Release, and Chaos).
The postage fee is taken from the bank account of the sender as the items are sent, unless they are C.O.D., in which case it is taken from the recipient when received.
- An inscribed papyrus sheet is 1 iron to mail.
- Combined items (such as metal lumps, wood scraps, liquids, etc) are 1 copper per 5 kg.
Any items sent via mailbox have a predetermined time for mailing. The strength of the enchant affects this (and appears to be 101 minus the cast strength in minutes).
- 31 - A bit more than one hour (estimate 70 minutes)
- 48 - A bit less than one hour (estimate 55 minutes)
- 63 - Less than one hours (estimate 35 to 40 minutes)
- 78 - Less than 30 minutes (estimate 25 minutes)
- 90 - Less than ten minutes
- 99 - Less than ten minutes (2 minutes)
Can be sent
- Archaeology journal (1c 22i for a full journal with all 22 pages)
- Backpack (and everything that can fit in one)
- Cauldron (and everything that can fit in one)
- Small barrel (and everything that can fit in one)
- Armour pieces (including Barding)
- Butchering knife
- Carving knife
- Stone chisel
- Explorer tent
- Horse shoe
- Huge axe
- Large anvil
- Large maul
- Meditation rug
- Metal lump (multiple sent in container, or all as a combined lump postage is still by kilo)
- Pile of dirt**
- Practice doll
- Rock shards
- Shields (all of them are mailable)
- Short bow
- Short sword
- Small anvil
- Small axe
- Small magical chest
- Smelting pot
- Square sail
- Steel and flint
- Strip of leather
- Triangular sail (and all smaller than it, like square piece of cloth)
- Troll mask
- Two handed sword
- Witchs hat
- Crude axe**
**Can be sent but were tested with a runed mailbox. Must still be tested with non-runed mailboxes.
Cannot be sent
- Bulk storage bin
- Deck board*
- Fishing rod*
- Hull plank
- Kingdom banner*
- Large crate
- Long spear*
- Nodrop items (Spyglass, Sleep powder etc)
- Ore (any kind)*
- Range pole*
- Small barrel rack
- Small crate
- Spinning wheel
- Tall kingdom banner
- Unfinished items of any kind
- Wine barrel rack
- Wooden beam*
*Can be sent in mailboxes with a zinc rune of Magranon attached.
Items sent in containers still incur fees. Example : A backpack with 3 wood scraps in it would cost you 4 x 1 copper (1x backpack, 3x wood scrap) to send due to being counted as 4 separate items. However, combining items (e.g. lumps) does decrease the mailing cost - combined items that are mailed will cost 1 copper per 5 kg, so a 5kg lump costs the same as one 1 kg lump.